The Swiss like debit cards and cash. The link will open in a new window According to a study by the Zurich University of Applied Sciences (in German), 70% of those surveyed could actually picture using new payment methods more frequently in future too, e.g. contactless or mobile payments. This may sound a long way off, but it is in fact something that is already very easy to do today with the PostFinance TWINT app, and our pensioner Hans tried it to see just how straightforward it is.
Retired Hans tries TWINT for you
Does this scene sound familiar to you? You are already on your way to work when you realise you’ve left your purse or wallet at home. Wouldn’t it be great if you could pay using your smartphone instead? We wanted to see how easy it is. This is why Hans, a pensioner, tried the mobile payment app TWINT for us. This was the result.
The challenge: an afternoon in the city without any cash
We invited Hans to leave his wallet at home for an afternoon. His mission: get by without any cash in order to get to grips with the features of the PostFinance TWINT app. You can see Hans pass this test with flying colours in the video.
Have you already tried cashless payments over a certain period of time? Leave your debit card, credit card and cash at home. With the PostFinance TWINT app, you can make cashless payments with ease no matter your circumstances. The following functions are available:
TWINT works in these situations
- Paying for parking: do you really want to have to scrape together coins to pay for two hours of parking? That is a real pain. You can already use TWINT to pay for parking in St. Gallen, Frauenfeld and Rapperswil-Jona without any cash. By the end of 2019, this will also be an option in other, bigger Swiss cities: (The link will open in a new window “Pay now for parking with absolute ease in Eastern Switzerland using the TWINT app”).
- Snack machines: these also ask for 10, 20 and 50 cent coins, which is a real nuisance if you end up being just a few cents short. Just as you would if you’re parking, you can easily use the TWINT app to scan the QR code to get the product you want.
- Save customer cards or collect points/stamps as you shop: are you a regular customer of a particular shop? Save your customer card with your favourite shop and collect stamps or points automatically with the TWINT payment app.
- Secure shopping online: when we shop online, we generally want to get things as quickly as possible without having to enter our credit card number or pay invoice fees. With TWINT, you scan in the online shop’s QR code using your app for a simple and secure online payment. The payment is received in seconds.
- Sending or asking for money: your friend buys lunch for the whole group, and you pay your share back with TWINT right away. All you need is their mobile number and you can transfer the money straight away.
- Paying at the supermarket till: you can conveniently use TWINT to pay at several Swiss tills, including every major The link will open in a new window retailer. Simply open the TWINT app and scan the QR code at the payment terminal, or connect it to the TWINT beacon and you’re done.
Get a TWINT account by following 3 easy steps
Fancy trying TWINT out yourself? By following these simple steps, you will have your own digital wallet:
- PostFinance customers can download the PostFinance TWINT app onto their smartphone. Do you have your account with another Swiss bank? The link will open in a new window Look for your bank on this TWINT page and download the app.
- Once you’ve installed it, you only need to register once with your mobile number. You can now link your account directly to the app. As a PostFinance customer, you will need your yellow card reader and your PostFinance card.
- And that’s all there is to it! Once you have successfully registered, you are ready to go. You can now use all the features of the TWINT app on your smartphone.
Cash-free living is already a viable option today
Hans has already shown us that it is possible to get by cash-free in Switzerland even today. Whether you want to make contactless payments, save customer cards on the TWINT app, benefit from discounts or transfer money to friends, TWINT provides an easy way to do it. No more entering card numbers and no more nasty surprises on your monthly bill.